Buying your first home is a huge milestone and the process can seem overwhelming in the beginning. Before you begin searching for a home, it is a good idea to complete a homebuyer education course and get an overview of the process to avoid any major missteps. And if you’re hoping to take advantage of any first-time homebuyer down payment and closing cost assistance programs available to Texans, the completion of an approved first-time homebuyer course is typically required before closing on your mortgage loan. National, state, and local assistance programs can make homeownership much more achievable for prospective homeowners, so it’s definitely worth checking to see whether you’re eligible for any assistance.
First-time homebuyer education courses usually cost between $35-$99 and many are available in online formats, so you can complete one from the comfort and safety of your own home. Here are several online homebuyer education options available to prospective homebuyers across Texas:
Texas-Wide Online First-Time Homebuyer Education Programs
There are several online programs available to residents across the state of Texas that meet the guidelines for most or all first-time homebuyer assistance programs. Here are a few online Texas-wide courses to consider:
- Framework Online Homebuyer Course: An online course certified by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) that discusses all aspects of the home-buying process, including securing a mortgage, working with a real estate agent, placing an offer, and closing on a home. This course is acceptable for most local and national mortgage loans and assistance programs. Cost: $75
- eHome America Online Homebuyer Course: A HUD-certified online course that discusses money management and the home-buying process, with optional follow-up home counseling services. Cost: $99
- Clearpoint Credit Counseling Solutions Homebuyer Counseling and Education: An eight-hour, HUD-approved online homebuyer education course with optional counseling that can help prepare you for the mortgage process and home search. Cost: $35
- Texas Homebuyer U: A two-hour online course that covers preparing, financing, and purchasing a home in Texas. This course will qualify you for first-time homebuyer programs through the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs.
City-Specific Online First-Time Homebuyer Education Programs
In addition to state-wide first-time homebuyer education courses, there are several options available in a few major cities across Texas. Most local homebuyer education programs also offer in-person courses, although many residents have opted for a virtual option during the pandemic. Here are some city-specific online education programs to consider:
- Avenue Community Development Corporation HUD-Certified First-Time Homebuyer’s Classes: An eight-hour virtual or online course in which you will review your finances, learn about the home-buying process, and receive an optional follow-up counseling session. The virtual option is held over Zoom with a live instructor on Saturdays from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Cost: $50 per household
- Fifth Ward Community Redevelopment Corporation Online Homebuyer Classes: A selection of eight-hour online and virtual sessions in which you will learn about the home-buying process and available assistance programs. The course is divided into two segments held on two separate days.
- Neighborhood Housing Services of San Antonio First-Time Homebuyers Class: NHS offers an in-person, eight-hour, HUD-certified course split into two evenings that will help prepare you for buying a home. They also offer an online option that discusses whether homeownership is right for you and walks you through the process of searching for, buying, and maintaining your home. Cost: $99
- Dallas Habitat For Humanity Online Homebuyer Education Course: An online, 8-hour, HUD-certified homebuyer education course offered by Dallas Habitat in partnership with eHome America. The course will cover the home-buying process and satisfies most down payment assistance program requirements. Cost: $99
- Business & Community Lenders of Texas Homebuyer Education Course: An online course that helps prospective homebuyers figure out if homeownership is right for them and learn how to shop for and maintain a home. The program also offers counseling with a homeownership advisor. Cost: $99
- Housing Channel Online Homebuyer Classes: A variety of classes and workshops that can prepare prospective homebuyers for the homebuying process. They offer in-person classes at their Fort Worth and Arlington offices in both Spanish and English, as well as a virtual option through FRAMEWORK. Cost: $75
All of these courses should provide a solid overview of the home-buying process for first-time homebuyers, while also satisfying most down payment and loan assistance program requirements for Texans.
Take the Next Step Toward Homeownership
Completion of an approved first-time homebuyer education course is a great way to kick off your home-buying journey. For more tips from expert loan officers on how to navigate the home-buying process, check out our guide to buying a home in Texas.